The Munich neighborhood Maxvorstadt is steeped in tradition, and the building at Theresienstrasse 72 with its eye-catching Spanish terracotta tiles for a facade is a historic landmark.
Built around 1900, the house has a long history. Situated across from the former Türkenkaserne, it witnessed two wars. During World War II the building was almost destroyed by fire bombs. But the residents were able to remove the bombs from the roof, so that the rest of the building remained intact.
Before the Tresznjewski opened its doors, the ground floor had been occupied for a long time by a restaurant named "Weinschatulle", which was renowned for its late closing time at 4 am. In 1993 the current Tresznjewski moved into the premises and thus has already built a tradition of more than twenty years.
The opening of the modern art gallery, Pinakothek der Moderne, in 2002, and the Brandhorst Museum in 2009, Munich's "Museum Neighborhood" grew—and with it came many art galleries, auction houses, and shops.
The Tresznjewski grew alongside and is happy to be part of a neighborhood with such a pleasant and exciting, beautiful and varied mix of people and cultures.